Do you drink enough water? It’s a great question that we should all be asking ourselves every day. Water is the basic building block of our bodies, making up about 60% of our bodies overall mass. Therefore, we need to be careful to ensure that we are getting enough water in our daily diets.
The simple act of drinking a glass of water can have profound affects on your overall health. Water can help you to control your weight, control your blood pressure, regulate your sugar levels, reduce water retention, alleviate headaches and help with the proper digestion of food.
So how much water should a person drink? Well the answer will vary depending on the source. Some experts recommend 8 glasses of water per day. While the Institute of Medicine recommends that a man should drink at least 3 liters per day and a woman should drink at least 2.2 liters.
As a result I’ve made it my goal to adjust my habits with regards to water consumption. Good general health begins with the basics and that includes adequate water consumption throughout the day.
5 Reasons to drink more water:
- Weight Control – Drinking water helps to curve our hunger
- Cleanse – Water helps to pull toxins away from our body
- Water retention – Water helps to reduce bloating
- Headaches – Dehydration is one of the most common causes behind headaches. In our busy lives we often reach for caffeinate beverages such as coffee, tea and soda to help keep us awake. These beverages however, also pull even more water away from our system, further dehydrating us.
- Energy – Seriously! Try it! Try drinking 2-3 litres of water every day, and you will notice a sudden increase in your energy levels.
Challenge yourself to drink a small glass of water every hour for 7 days and see how you feel.