Meet Dr. Ross McKenzie
Dr. Ross McKenzie is an Edmonton and Sherwood Park based optometrist who is trained to diagnose and treat both vision conditions and ocular diseases. He is qualified to prescribe visual aids, spectacles and topical prescription medication to treat these eye conditions.
Patients can book an eye exam or laser vision consultation with Dr. Ross McKenzie at one of two eye care clinics that he practices at in the Edmonton and Sherwood Park region: eye-bar optometrists opticians & sunglass specialists located in Sherwood Park Alberta, and Eye-Q-Premium Laser located in the gallery district on 124th Street west of downtown Edmonton.
Dr. Ross McKenzie is originally from Saskatchewan. He was born and raised in Saskatoon and spent his summers farming on the family grain farm just north of Moose Jaw near the town of Tuxford. Deciding at an early age to pursue a career as an optometrist, Dr. Ross McKenzie graduated from the University of Saskatchewan with a Bachelor of Science degree (human anatomy major). Armed with a degree, the farm boy packed his bags and headed for greener pastures in Forest Grove, Oregon to complete his optometry studies at Pacific University College of Optometry. During his studies, Dr. Ross McKenzie interned in various clinical settings across the United States.
Upon completion of his optometry studies in 2003, Dr. Ross McKenzie was recognized by the Beta Sigma Kappa Honor Society for academic excellence and obtained licensing in both the United States and Canada. But in the end, Dr. Ross McKenzie headed home to Canada to practice optometry in the Edmonton region.
From August 2003 until Arpil 2013, Dr. Ross McKenzie practiced in Kingsway Mall as a contracted optometrist for Total Focus Family Optometry Centres and was the acting clinic director. For four years, Dr. Ross McKenzie also practiced at the Alberta Sports Vision Institute in Vegreville. Today many of those patients still make the 90 minute drive into the city to see him. In 2007, Dr. Ross McKenzie and Dr. Amy Bakelaar opened their own clinic in Sherwood Park called eye-bar optometrists, opticians & eyewear specialists. eye-bar optometrists, opticians & eyewear specialists offers unique eyewear collections in a fun, stylish environment. In 2009, Dr. Ross McKenzie joined Eye-Q-Premium Laser to work alongside ophthalmologist Dr. Joseph Leong-Sit, M.D. in providing patients with premium refractive surgery care.
Dr. Ross McKenzie’s knowledge and passion for optometry extends beyond the clinic to speaking engagements where he talks on topics such as contact lens care, diabetic health and dry eye syndrome. He has performed lectures on behalf of Alcon, and Ciba Vision Canada to both fellow optometrists and licensed opticians. Dr. Ross McKenzie has also taken part in drug protocol seminars with Bausch and Lomb Pharmaceutical and optometry advisory board meetings with Alcon Pharmaceuticals.
Professional Affiliations in Optometry
- The Canadian Association of Optometrists
- The Alberta Association of Optometrists
- The Alberta College of Optometrists
- University of Saskatchewan - Bachelor of Science
- Pacific University College of Optometry - Doctorate of Optometry
Clinical Optometry Experience
- eye-bar optometrists, opticians & eyewear specialists - Sherwood Park, Alberta - Current
- StoneWire Optometry - Edmonton, Alberta - Kingsway Mall - Current
- eye-q-premium laser - Edmonton, Alberta - Current
- Prarie Vision Centre - Wainwright, Alberta - Jul 2013-Nov 2013
- Sears Optical - Edmonton, Alberta - Jun 2013 - Nov 2013
- Total Focus Family Optometry Centres in Kingsway Mall - Edmonton, Alberta - Aug 2003-April 2013
- Alberta Sports Vision Institute - Vegreville, Alberta - Dec 2003 - Arpil 2007
- Norton Sound Health Clinc - Nome, Alaska
- Hickam AirForce Base - Honolulu, Hawaii
- Pediatric Strabismus Referral Center - Portland, Oregon
- Eyes of Arizona - Lake Havasu, Arizona